by Alan Noel
Professional Wood Finisher
When we get together for family gatherings, parties,
meals, etc., it pays for us to think ahead about how to protect our valuable pieces of
furniture from the impact of these festivities. Here are a few tips:
- Always provide easy access to coasters for your guests and encourage them to use them under cups and glasses.
- Table covers are a must on the dining table. And pads if you have them.
(If not, double up with a sheet.)
- For very hot platters or bowls, use a heat trivet PLUS a pot holder in order to
prevent the heat of the dish from harming the finish below.
- For candle wax deposits, use a credit cart to remove the bulk of the wax,
taking care not to scratch the surface. Next use a rag damp with mineral spirits to soften and
wipe away the remaining wax residue.
- Water and alcohol spills should be wiped up immediately.
- Hot spills will do the most damage the fastest. Wipe the spill away as fast as possible,
then leave the area uncovered to cool.
Visiting Atlanta? Attend one of Alan's upcoming highly informative Highland Woodworking wood
Visit Highland Woodworking's Online
Finishing the Finish, January 18, 2012
French Polish Workshop, January 25, 2012
Coloring Wood, February 1, 2012
Finishing the Finish, February 22, 2012
French Polish Workshop, March 7, 2012
Finishing the Finish, March 21, 2012
Wood Finishing Supplies Department
Alan can be reached directly via email c/o Alan Noel Furniture Refinishing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to Wood News front page