by Alan Noel
Professional Wood Finisher
We all appreciate a clear sunny day. To bask in the rays of our warm sun is a pastime that many of us enjoy.
Not so much for the prized projects that we all put a lot of time and effort into. Once the piece is put into service, with the passage of time, the sun will surely take its toll on all of our hard work.
Here are EIGHT tips to help keep the sun at bay.
- Pigmented STAINS fade the slowest because of the particle size of the pigments they contain.
- Oil and Lacquer based DYES fade the fastest.
- Alcohol based DYES fade much slower than oil/lacquer based.
- Water based DYES are the most light-fast.
- After two or more applications, PIGMENTED STAINS will virtually obscure the wood surface.
- Dyes always retain their clarity even after repeated applications.
- The application of sun blocking films on windows does little to stop the effects of the sun.
- Curtains are your friend!
Visiting Atlanta? Attend one of Alan's upcoming highly informative Highland Woodworking wood
February 20 French Polish Workshop
March 6 Finishing the Finish
March 27 Wood Coloring Basics
Visit Highland Woodworking's Online
Wood Finishing Supplies Department
Alan can be reached directly via email c/o Alan Noel Furniture Refinishing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to Wood News front page