Before you perform any cut on your table saw, stop and plan the cut. By this I mean, examine the cut that you are about to perform and ask yourself a few questions:
- Can the cut be made with the blade guard on? Put the blade guard on!
- What push pad or push stick am I going to use? You don't have one? Stop and build one as your first wood working project!
- Where is the push stick or push pad and is it within easy reach when I will need it during the cut?
- Is there anything in the way that will interfere with the board as it is pushed off the back of the saw?
- Is there anything that makes me feel uncomfortable about making this cut? If so, don't do it. Stop and reexamine everything.
- Where's your safety glasses and ear protection? Put them on!
Do you have a safety tip you always keep in mind when you are in the shop?
Share it with
us, and you could get a $25 Highland Woodworking gift card
if we feature your tip in a
Visit Highland Woodworking's Online Safety Equipment Department
Return to Wood News front page